Applications for Community Legal Centres NSW’s inaugural First Nations Cadetship Program are now open.
The program will provide four Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students in the final two years of their degree the opportunity to undertake on-the-job practical learning and experience in the field of their study by working with one of our participating community legal centres in the program.
Working two-days per week for 48 weeks in a community legal centre in New South Wales, you’ll participate in a range of professionally and socially meaningful work activities relevant to your studies. Through on-the-job-learning and mentoring, cadets will be afforded opportunities to develop both personally and professionally. This is a paid position.
There are 41 community legal centres across NSW. More than a dozen community legal centres are participating in this program, including specialist centres in Sydney that cover the state, and some generalist centres in rural and remote locations. If you are chosen for an interview, you will be given a list of centres to identify your preferences.
Students will be able to complete either:
- Two six-month placements at different community legal centres.
- One 12-month placement at one community legal centre.
The Cadetship Program is open to :
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students ONLY
- Currently within the final two years of a degree in either:
- Law (or equivalent)
- Social Work
- Identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and are accepted as such in the community.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- An ability to work with people who experience hardship and vulnerability.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, adapt quickly, and problem-solve.
- Committed to offering excellent service and working in a high-volume work environment as a valued team member.
Provide evidence with application
Please submit the following documents along with your application letter that addresses the selection criteria.
- A confirmation of Aboriginality letter, or a support letter from an Aboriginal Community Organisation that you are a member of.
- Proof that you are enrolled in either Law (or equivalent), Social Work, or Communications at an approved Australian tertiary institution for either:
- an undergraduate degree
- combined undergraduate degree
- a post graduate degree or
- an Honours/Masters
How to apply
To apply, please email your resume, evidence documents, and a cover letter addressing the selection criteria to: [email protected] by 9am on Monday 22nd November 2021.
For more information contact:
Ms Bobbi Murray
First Nations Cadetship Administrator
Community Legal Centres NSW
PH: 02 9212 7333 then press 9