(02) 6620 1800 [email protected]

Sometimes bills are forgotten, mail stays in the letterbox or you just can’t afford to pay your electricity or gas bill. You may face disconnection of your energy supply or worse have already been disconnected. Contact your provider straight away to find out how to stop the disconnection or get reconnected.

If you cannot come to an agreement with your provider, call us.

We are the Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW (EWON), a free, fair and independent complaints-handling service for all electricity and gas customers in NSW, and some water customers.

Ask your provider…

  1. For an extension, or to set up a payment plan. Be realistic and only agree to a payment plan you can afford. Your provider must offer at least two payment plans within 12 months on request.
  2. To be transferred to an affordability program for longer term support, if you are experiencing ongoing difficulties
  3. If fees for disconnection and/or reconnection can be waived considering your circumstances.

Electricity must be reconnected within two business days of your request, and gas within five business days.

Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA)

If you’re struggling to pay your current household energy bill because of a short-term financial crisis or emergency, such as unexpected medical bills, or reduced income due to COVID-19, you could be eligible for the NSW Government’s EAPA vouchers.

Vouchers are worth $50 and are sent electronically to your energy retailer. The number you receive will depend on your circumstances. Contact an EAPA provider service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/energy-accounts-payment-assistance-eapa-scheme or call Service NSW on 1377 88 to apply.

You cannot be disconnected if…

  • You make payments towards an agreed payment plan
  • You owe less than $300 and have committed to a payment plan
  • Your home is registered as having life support equipment
  • It’s before 8am or after 3pm
  • It’s a Friday, weekend, or the day before/of a public holiday
  • If you have arranged an appointment for Energy Account Payment Assistance

Water restriction

Your water provider may restrict your supply if you have an unpaid bill however, it must give you notice first.

For further information about disconnections and restriction of supply, read our factsheet on disconnections.

How to get in touch with us

Freecall: 1800 246 545* Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm

Freepost: Reply Paid 86550 Sydney South NSW 1234

Interpreter: 131 450

TTY/Voice: 133 677

Online: ewon.com.au

* If you are calling from a mobile phone, let us know and we will call you back.