Using more air conditioning and water in the warmer months can be expensive, but there are things you can do to reduce your summer bills. We are the Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW (EWON), a free, fair and independent complaints-handling service for all electricity and gas customers in NSW, and some water customers.
• If you want to keep cool during the summer months, fans are the most energy efficient type of powered cooling costing 3-5 cents per hour.
• If you use an air conditioner set the temperature to 24-26°C in summer. Every degree outside this range can add up to 10% to your cooling costs.
• Fridges and freezers work 24 hours, seven days a week! They operate most efficiently if they’re cleaned regularly, frost free and tightly sealed. Help keep your fridge in good condition by putting it in a cool, ventilated position with space around it.
• A second fridge or freezer can add $300 a year to your energy bill. Make sure your first fridge is full before you decide to buy another.
• Always run your dishwasher with a full load, on economy mode or fast wash cycles and clean the filters regularly.
• Keeping your pool covered to prevent evaporation can save you 30,000L of water a year. Use the most energy efficient pump for your pool or spa’s size and check for leaks.
• Using mulch helps reduce weeds and retains water in your garden’s soil – without it up to 70% of water is lost due to evaporation. Use recycled household water on your plants and try to water your plants in the morning or evening.
Find out more about how to save money at home http://www.ewon.com.au/content/Document/Resources%20for%20customers/EWON-Factsheet-Save-Energy-Water.pdf
If you receive a bill that is much higher than expected, contact your provider as soon as possible and explain why you are concerned. If you are not happy with the response, please call our team at EWON we can provide information, investigate our bill and raise issues with your energy provider.
How to get in touch with us
Freecall: 1800 246 545* Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm
Freepost: Reply Paid 86550 Sydney South NSW 1234
Interpreter: 131 450
TTY/Voice: 133 677
* If you are calling from a mobile phone, let us know and we will call you back.