(02) 6620 1800 [email protected]


Included in the resource:


Being in a disaster is traumatic. It’s important to ask yourself and your family how you are all feeling. And it’s ok to ask for help and support.

It is normal to feel overwhelmed after a disaster.

Help is available.

You can get counselling through your GP or call Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Your finances

Loans and credit cards

Your bank or credit provider must consider what’s happened to you. You can speak to their hardship department or you can talk to a financial counsellor
on 1800 007 007.

If the bank won’t help, you can contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) on 1800 931 678.


If you are a permanent employee you can take personal or carer’s leave to look after yourself or your family. If you run out of this leave you get an extra two days unpaid leave. Casual workers also get two days unpaid leave. For more information call the Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94.


You may be able to get the Disaster Recovery Payment (DRP) or an emergency payment. Call or visit your local Centrelink branch to find out.

Your home


Making a claim on your insurance policy can be a daunting process. However, you can get free legal help every step of the way. You can call LawAccess on 1300 888 529, the Insurance Law Service on 1300 663 464 or get free legal advice at your local Legal Aid office or Recovery Centre (call LawAccess to find Legal Aid offices).


If you can’t live in your property because of the disaster, then you don’t have to pay rent. If your property has been seriously damaged then your landlord should reduce your rent and arrange for urgent repairs. Call your local tenants union or Fair Trading for more information.

Useful contacts

Lifeline -13 11 14

Financial Rights Legal Centre – 1800 844 949

Centrelink – Contact your local Centrelink office

Fair Work Ombudsman – 13 13 94

National Debt Helpline – 1800 007 007

LawAccess NSW – Free information and referrals.
1300 888 529 or www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au

Legal Aid NSW – Free legal advice at your local Legal Aid office or Recovery Centre (call Law Access 1300 888 529 to find Legal Aid offices).

Insurance Law Service – 1300 663 464 or www.insurancelaw.org.au

Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) – 1800 931 678

NSW Fair Trading Information Centre – 133 220 (Monday to Friday 8:30–5:00)

Tenants advocacy service – www.tenants.org.au/contact-us